Camembert au figues et noisettes
We used to buy these prepared camembert cheeses at one of the two famous cheese specialty shops in town ("Betty" in Toulouse/France). The owner was kind enough to share the (simple) recipe with us.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Make the filling 1-2 days ahead!
- Assembly time: 20 minutes
- 1 camembert cheese - kept in the refrigerator
- standard 250 grams (1/2 lb), 10 cm (4 inch) diameter
- 125 gram (4.5 oz) mascarpone
- a standard 250 gram tub is enough for two standard camemberts
- 75 grams (3 oz) dried figs
- keep one fig for decorating the top of the cheese
- do not use dried figs that were harvested in biblical times and are hard!
- 75 grams (3 oz) shelled, whole hazelnuts
- to remove skins, wrap warmed up hazelnuts in a dish towel and let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Then rub vigorously in the towel.
- keep one or two hazelnuts for decorating the top of the cheese
EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES
- medium size bowl (1 liter / 1 quart)
PREPARATION / DIRECTIONS
- Make the filling:
- cut the hazelnuts into large pieces (half or quartered; just in half if the nuts are small)
- remove the stem from the figs and cut the figs into pieces that are about 1 cm (3/8 inch) in size
- put the mascarpone in the bowl, mash it, and blend in the nuts and figs
- keep in the refrigerator for at least one day, for the flavors to blend.
- Assemble the camembert:
- cut the (cold) camembert at half height into two round slices
- put the mascarpone mix in the middle of the bottom half of the cheese
- work the mascarpone mix across the cheese, to get even thickness and a straight edge
- the filling should make a layer of about 2 cm (3/4 inch)
- put the other half of the cheese back on top of the mascarpone, and clean up the edge of the filling
- decorate the top of the cheese with a small fig (stem removed, butterflied) or several hazelnut halves
- put back into the fridge
- Take out of the refigerator 30 minutes before serving.
©2004-2016 F. Dörenberg, unless stated otherwise. All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this publication may be used without permission from the author.